How to rename or delete files or folders with strange characters in their names
July 11, 2020
What a nightmare! I had those ogg files that happened to use names with strange characters and Windows Explorer refused to rename them! When I entered a new name, Windows Explorer stopped working as if in a loop, trying forever without success.
I could wait for hours to see if a message was going to appear or anything, but after a few minutes I realized that perhaps I should find some other solution.
I tried even to delete the whole folder, but Explorer still refused to accept any action.
The only solution that worked was to use Flexible Renamer to rename the problematic files. Just make sure you restart Windows first. Enjoy!
- Compare folders by file names and extensions, even copy or delete the differences, with Compare Folders
- Fix your BitTorrent strange download speed problem
- Rename and Randomize your files with numerical file names
- Rename files and folders, even with profiles and with undo, using Bulk Rename Utility
- Delete, move, rename, copy automatically files from multiple folders with Belvedere
- How to convert Greek file and folder names to Latin (Greeklish) with Bulk Rename Utility
- Batch rename even via tags or text files, with preview and undo, using Rename Master
- Restore Recycle Bin files to different folders than their original location
- Unlock, delete, copy or rename locked files, with LockHunter
- Locate duplicate files to delete, copy, move or rename them, with AllDup
- Make Windows display intact file names in folders
- Create multiple new folders at once, even with custom names, using New Folder Wizard
Tags: Flexible RenamerRenamewindows explorer